Radiantskincare.org is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. For more information, click here.
Top 5 Age-Defying Products
The older I become the more I realize that unfortunately, aging is not something that just happens to other people. I’m in my early thirties, and while I do still get carded sometimes, my sunscreen-free childhood in Florida is catching up to me.
That’s why I created an oil cleanser with fiercely powerful age-defying properties that I use almost every day to lighten sun spots, tighten skin, encourage collagen production, and provide moisture. It’s simple to make and a little goes a long way. Read on to learn how to make yours:
What I Use and Why:
Four-ounce spray bottle: these bottles are durable, easy to grasp in one hand, and they are darkly tinted to protect the oil inside from light. You don’t need to use a spray bottle though. Any glass bottle or small jar with a lid will do.
Jojoba oil: some oils are very concentrated, like sage and frankincense oil, and you should not apply them directly to your skin. Instead, you should mix small amounts of them with a carrier oil like jojoba oil. Jojoba is gentle on skin and dilutes sage and frankincense oil, so you still get the benefit of using them. It is also full of Vitamins E and A, and omega-6 fatty acids. Jojoba oil is also a humectant, which means it helps your skin retain moisture.
Pumpkin seed oil: this oil smells like a latte and feels like a warm balm on your face. It is high in zinc, selenium, iron, and Vitamins E, A, and K. This combination helps heal damaged and inflamed skin, and Vitamin K is a rare, anti-aging superstar. Pumpkin seed oil is safe to apply to the skin without dilution, but it works really well with jojoba oil.
Sage oil: sage oil contains antioxidants that fight free radicals (molecules that damage tissue and cause aging), regulates oil production, and promotes daily skin cell regeneration. It can help minimize and prevent wrinkles, and it is antibacterial. Sage oil should be used with a carrier oil, like jojoba oil.
Frankincense oil: this wonderful, fragrant oil helps skin retain its elasticity, reducing and preventing wrinkles. It minimizes the appearance of sunspots and scars, and it even shrinks pores. It soothes irritated skin, and it has a calming smell that may help you sleep. Frankincense is best used with jojoba oil.
Lavender oil: this oil smells so good I’ve started wearing it as a perfume. It is great for your face too. It is gentle, mixes well with other oils, kills bacteria, helps skin heal, and evens out skin tone. I add it to every oil mixture I make.
- Fill nearly half of the bottle with jojoba oil. This is your carrier oil that dilutes other, more concentrated oils.
- Fill the other half of the bottle with pumpkin seed oil, but not all the way to the top. Leave a half-inch space between the oil and the top of the bottle.
- Add 3 drops of sage oil to the mixture.
- Add 3 drops of frankincense oil to the mixture.
- Add 5-7 drops of lavender oil to the mixture.
- Close the bottle and shake it vigorously.
- When you are ready to use it, pour a quarter-sized amount onto a washcloth and apply it to your face. You can add more oil if you need to.
- Run the washcloth under hot water, squeeze out excess water, and drape it over your face. When it cools, wipe the oil off of your face.
- Use your favorite moisturizer. You can let it blend with the oil left on your face, or wipe the oil off completely (I recommend wiping it off completely if you plan to apply a serum before your moisturizer. Removing the oil makes it easier for the serum to penetrate the skin).
- Enjoy your fresh face!